Trip HighlightsTrip code: VWET
- Experience the tranquil life amidst nature in Chiang Mai.
- Live like the natives and learn how simple living can be a source of happiness.
- Take care of the elephants and spend quality time with them.
- Visit the local markets filled with local artisans & craftsmen and learn about their ancient art techniques.
- Take a tour of the famous temples and other heritage sites in Chiang Mai.
While Thailand is most popular as a beach destination, there's a lot more that the country has to offer! Apart from the vast stretches of scintillating beaches spanning across the southern part of the country, the north of Thailand is quite different. The picturesque hill town of Chiang Mai is known for the elephants dwelling there, and if you are someone who prefers nature and wildlife more than beaches and partying, then you should definitely explore Chiang Mai and volunteer for the elephants while in Thailand. Participants will be staying at an elephant camp in the outskirts of the main town, amidst nature. Spend time with the gentle giants and mahouts, and know more about their daily lives. Rest assured, this would be essentially a learning journey for you.
Roles and Responsibilities
As the name suggests, this program encircles the elephants of Chiang Mai. Your main roles and responsibilities as a volunteer will be:
- Taking utmost care of the elephants. Taking them for a walk every morning and evening, cleaning their shelters, preparing food and feeding them, bathing them etc.
- Extra care and attention should be given to the baby elephants.
- Learn from the mahouts how they treat the animals.
- Any sort of extra work that may arise at the camp.
- Guide the day tourists who are there at the elephant camp for a visit.
Your days will begin at 6.30 to 7 in the morning, and you need to be extremely active throughout the day. The first task of the day will be to take the elephants for a walk, followed by a bath. Later, you'll do the work as guided by the mahouts. You can also learn the local language, and if you have a knack for cooking, then you can learn how to prepare some Thai delicacies as well.
What you can do in your free time?
You can opt for weekend cookery classes, or just head out for exploring Chiang Mai. In case you are in a mood to party, you can take a short flight to Bangkok and spend your weekend there.
Dates & Cost
- 24/7 Assistance and support from Staff
- Comprehensive Pre- Departure Information
- Airport Pickup
- Orientation and half day city tour
- Cultural Dinner and Show
- Food (2 meals a day as mentioned in itinerary)
- Travel & Medical Insurance (Available at an extra cost)
- International/Domestic Airfare
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance (available at nominal cost)
- Local transportation to and fro program location
- Departure transfer to airport (can be arranged at nominal cost)