- Work with disadvantaged, orphaned and vulnerable children in rural schools
- Help improve the level of education of children who are willing and eager to learn
- Take extra classes to smaller group sizes to allow more individual attention
- Organize fun afternoon activities, such as wildlife clubs, arts, and crafts, reading clubs and drama performances etc
- Provide adult education sessions, helping them develop skills and vocational training to rural communities
- Assist the teachers and students to gain adequate computer skills
- Stay a lakeside volunteer house, with views of beautiful Lake Malawi
- Feel part of the community and experience the hospitality and culture of the friendly community
Being a volunteer teacher in Malawi, you'll realize that the schools in this country are certainly not like those you will be more familiar in your home country. In your gap year, opt for a volunteering trip to Malawi and make a difference to the lives of the little ones. Once you are there, you'll realize that resources are extremely limited at most schools, and you will need to be creative in planning your lessons. You will get to widen your social network, acquire new skills from your peers and polish your existing skills. It will turn out to be one of the best experiences of your life, for sure. So what are you waiting for?
- As a volunteer, your main role will be supporting the teachers by assisting them in one of the local primary schools.
- On occasion volunteers with teaching experience can be placed in one of the community secondary schools.
- As part of our initiative to integrate IT to local schools and communities, you can help teachers develop and improve their computer skills.
- Volunteers usually deal with the curriculum subjects, including English, Maths, and Sciences.
- You may also have the opportunity to take adult education classes and provide necessary skills development to rural communities.
- Assist in setting up a library where the children will have access to various kinds of books.
- You can arrange co-curricular classes for drama, music, arts, and crafts, depending on your personal interests.
- Liwonde National Park is a popular safari destination where you can spend your weekend. Go for game viewing drives, boat rides on the Shire River and much more. Nature lovers can opt for a jungle trek as well.
- You can also head to the Cape Maclear which has a number of small tourist lodges, offering great snorkeling, kayaking, scuba diving and amazing food!
- Zomba Plateau is a good place for walking and enjoying the views, relaxing in the cooler climate, or horse riding for those who want to spend a quaint weekend.
Dates & Cost
- 24/7 Assistance and support from Staff
- Comprehensive Pre- Departure Information
- Airport Pickup at Lilongwe international airport
- Transport to and from the project
- Certificate of appreciation
- Meal - Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Accommodation at the volunteer house/ homestay
- Return Airfare
- Visa Fee
- Return Airport Drop (Can be arranged at extra cost)
- Travel & Medical Insurance (Available at an extra cost)
- Any other personal expenses