- Live in an animal rescue center in Puyo, amidst nature
- Explore the great Amazonian Rainforests
- Volunteer for the animals and get to know more about them
- Explore Ecuador like never before!
- Travel to Quito and visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Experience the local lifestyle, know more about the culture and history of the place
- Take a trip to the amazing archipelago of Galapagos to experience a beachside retreat
Have ever imagined how wonderful it would be to live at an animal rescue center with hundreds of them around you throughout the day? Sounds like a dream, doesn't it? Well, it can be a reality if you travel to Puyo in Ecuador during your gap year and be a part of the Amazon Rescue Center program. Go Discover Abroad works in partnership with the Ecuadorian Environmental Police (UPMA) and the Ministry of Environment in the fight against the trafficking, abuse, capture, and hunting of wild animals. As a part of the program, you'll be living inside the center for a considerable period of time and get to learn a lot from first-hand work experience. So are you ready for the adventure ahead?
If you are an animal lover, then you'll absolutely enjoy the days here. While living at the Animal Center in Puyo, you'll be surrounded by nearly 40 species of animals and birds including parrots, monkeys, tortoises, and caimans amongst others.
- You'll have to get engaged in the day to day caregiving activities
- Preparing meals for the animals and birds, cutting fruits and giving them medicines
- Helping the new ones get adjusted to the center
- Get engaged in construction work like repairing the shelters, building new shelters etc.
- Help the staff in managing the gardens and trails
- Assist the vets whenever necessary
- Explore the city of Quito that has immense historical importance. Once a site where the Incas lived, Quito Old Town will surely take you back in time.
- You can also go for exploring the Amazon Rainforests and indulge in some adventure activities.
- Go for exploring Cotopaxi volcano and Pichincha, Antisana, and Cayambe volcanoes that make the Andean contour.
- If the beaches are calling you, then you can take a short flight and head off to Galapagos!
Dates & Cost
- 24/7 Assistance and support from VS Staff
- Comprehensive Pre- Departure Information
- Airport Pickup
- Meals on weekdays (only at homestay accommodation)
- Insurance (Provided at an extra cost)
- International Airfare
- Airport drop (available for an extra cost)
- Local Transportation
- Any personal expenses