No doubt your vacation or your spring break is the time to channel the inner hippie in you and tame, if not the world, at least a country or two in a go! You could be adventure trekking in the Himalayas, spending days out on the road on your Garden Route Road Trip or you could even be traveling to remote villages in Thailand to participate in Conservation Volunteering. But those extra kilos of unnecessary baggage might not be a good way to go about it.
Do you want to remember your travel story for these amazing moments or the back pain that lugging around those heavy pieces of luggage gave you? If you really want to slay it on the road like a pro-traveler, smart packing is the ideal choice. Just make a list and follow it to a T, and your packing game will be en-pointe.
Here, we already have a packing list ready for you!
Let’s start off with the essentials. Missing out any of these may turn out to be disastrous for your travel plans!
- All necessary IDs with proper age proof and address proof.
- A good international travel insurance- though you don’t need to pack it, it should still be right at the top of your list.
- Of course, your student card, if you’re still one. Your student card is the ultimate weapon for availing great discounts on your international travel!
- The holy grail of any and every backpacker and traveler- The Backpack. Most of the time you’re going to be out on the road, and your backpacks are going to keep all your bases covered. Try and gauge the type of activities and traveling you’re gonna undertake and get a fitting backpack for the same, like the Camelbak if trekking, waterproof is a must anyway, slash-proof for keeping your things protected etc.
CLOTHING AND SHOES
Now, when packing clothes, the first and most important thing is keeping in mind the weather of the country you’re traveling to. If its a tropical country then sun-friendly clothing would be the way to go. And if it is a humid country, then light pieces of clothing in breathable fabrics should be your first choice.
Another thing to keep in mind while packing is the culture of the country you’re traveling to. You should try and refrain from dressing up in skimpy clothing items that might make you stand out in a crowd or could even hurt the sentiments of the local people. Packing wisely when it comes to clothing is a task in itself.
- 10 pieces fresh inner-wears so that you can maintain a regular wash cycle. This is one of the most basic steps for maintaining hygiene while on the outbound.
- 2 pieces of mid-length shorts and 2 cargo shorts for comfortable traveling/ 2 boardies for guys
- 2 cotton trousers, 2 cargo pants, 4 Jean pants. It is also advised to pack in trekking trousers if you plan on undertaking any adventure activity or hiking. These trousers are also useful in combating any sudden dip in the temperature.
- 2 light summer dresses or kaftans in light colors and breathable fabrics.
- 5 camisoles and leggings or woolen tights if your destination is a bit on the colder side.
- Cotton shirts are a must for when traveling, be it for men or women. Also carry tank tops, full-sleeved and half-sleeved t-shirts.
- 2 or 3 party-wears for the times when you get keen on exploring the nightlife.
- Warmers, fleece jackets, hoodies, scarves etc. These winter items are a must cause over the tenure of your travel, the weather is ought to change, from a pleasant day of sun to sunless cold days. Always stay a step ahead of such situations and pack essentials like these. Buying such items can inadvertently lead to a strain on your budget even.
- 4 pairs of cotton socks and 2 pairs of woolen socks.
- A winter coat or jacket is a must-pack when you’re traveling somewhere where the temperature tends to go below double digits. The bulky pieces of jackets are hard to pack in and takes up a lot of space. So, our suggestion would be to wear those on your travels and bring them as carry on rather than occupying that much extra space in your luggage.
- Bathing suits if you’re off to a beach destination or even if you plan on taking a dip in a pool or in a spring by a waterfall. At least one piece of bathing suit is a must to pack if water is something you simply can’t stay away from.
- One pair of Chaco. It is the most travel-friendly footwear and travelers swear by it. It the perfect for those day outings, or even for exploring places around you on foot.
- A pair of loafer or brogue or canvas or you can couple two of these if you want to keep more options for footwear. Women can opt to carry a single pair of heels for those times when you might go out partying or on a date maybe.
- Hiking shoes or trainers. For those long walks, treks, hikes- these shoes should definitely be on your packing list.
PERSONAL CARE ITEMS
Maintaining proper hygiene and taking good care of yourself is one of the first steps of traveling well. And for that, these few personal care items should definitely be on your packing list for your trip abroad.
Keep in mind, items like shampoos, conditioners, toothpaste, soaps etc. are available in nominal expenses in any and every corner of the world. So, don’t go overboard in packing these in huge numbers. Carry the small quantities of such items that would be enough to get you started in the beginning days of your journey.
- First and foremost, sanitary napkins or tampons. If you’re planning on going off the beaten path, then we would suggest packing these in larger amounts for being on the safe side. Yes, it is one of those items that can be easily availed from anywhere but keep in mind, you might not be able to find your preferred brand or maybe even tampons everywhere. So, pack accordingly!
- 2-3 pieces of soap bars rather than douches or shower gels as they always run the risk of leaking onto your luggage.
- Sanitizers, wet tissues, and toilet paper rolls, cause you can never be too ready while traveling abroad.
- Mouthwash, toothbrush.
- Roll on deodorants.
- Sunscreens, hydrating moisturizers, cold creams, etc.
- Use and throw razors and shaving kits.
- Cotton buds.
- Nail clippers, nail file, tweezers.
- A small pack of detergent powder and handwash.
- Basic makeup items as per your own preferences.
- Ziploc bags and pouches for sealing in liquid items and keeping your personal care items safe.
Given the fact that you will be on the road most of the time, and engaged in adventurous activities, a few nicks and scrapes are sure going to appear from time to time. This medical kit is to make sure you are able to treat those by yourself. Your healthcare kit should have items like-
- Neosporin, antiseptic liquids, plasters, bandages.
- ORS and glucose sachets.
- Medicines like antacids, paracetamols.
- Your own prescription meds if any,
- Inhaler if breathing problem is an issue.
- Dramamine etc.
Our affordable adventure tours at GoDiscoverAbroad comes with all-informative country-specific pre-departure kits that cover all the possible bases when it comes to traveling, including packing for your trips. Check out our amazing program and start planning your adventure today!