Trip HighlightsTrip code: TBACT
- Uplift communities and help keep the youth off the street through literacy and numeracy.
- Explore the melting pot of Capetonian cultures by visiting local markets and restaurants.
- Tame the wilderness of South Africa with outdoor activities like Canoeing and hiking.
- Throw your hands up in the air and set off on a journey of a lifetime through the garden route, one of the most famed drives in the world!
- Conquer the highest bungee jump bridge in the world The Bloukran Bridge, standing at a whopping height of 709ft.
- Run after-school programs working with disadvantaged and vulnerable children in the community.
Let the travel madness descend on you this year and go all out with us in the uber cool coastal city of South Africa. When it comes to travel in South Africa, Cape Town pulls out all the big guns- bustling city life, strong cultural heritage and a galore of adventure activities. Going by your latest lingo, it’s a Hundo P (100%) awesomeness!
Explore the townships of Khayelitsha and Philippi as a volunteer and help uplift the community through education and development work. Next up, crank up those speakers and let your hair loose for you’re all set to embark on a legendary road trip through the Garden Route. Feast your eyes on the picture-perfect scenery along the way and be prepared for a shock and awe at every next turn, for we have packed it up with unique African experiences and exciting adventures!
Roles and Responsibilities
Before you go about explore one of the most scenic routes in the world, let’s quickly take you on a run through of the volunteering project and the work you’ll be doing as a volunteer.
- We have partnered with many pre-schools and educare centers in Cape Town. As our volunteers you’ll be bringing your unique ideas into lesson planning, building interactive class routines and help these schools make great strides in education.
- After school care programs have become ever so important for the protection of Kids. As our volunteers, you’ll provide kids a fun and educational time beyond their school hours.
Garden Route Tour- Travel Itinerary
Time to put on those traveling pants now that you’ve got through the hard week of working, for here on out it’s all about exploring the beauty that is South Africa. On Monday you’ll be picked up from the volunteer’s home and whisked away on an adventure of a lifetime. The first Monday of your second week, you’ll be on your way to the famous Addo Elephant Park Safari, along the way touring the coastal magnificence of Western Cape, Little Karoo, Route 62 and what have you.
Day 1 - Cape Town- Hermanus- Cape Agulhas
Kick-starting our journey from Cape Town / Stellenbosch we make our way through Betties Bay. There you get a chance to drop in on a colony of endangered African Penguins and later you can be about Hermanus, the whale watching town and explore it to your heart’s content. Hold your breath all you shark diving people, for you’ll be off to the the diving location on the same day. You’ll be rejoining the group later after some death-defying diving and lunch. Later on, we’ll be driving down to Cape Agulhas, the southernmost tip of Africa and visiting the place where actually the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet.
Day 2 - Cape Agulhas- Oudtshoorn
Yes, the destination is Oudtshoorn in Little Karoo, the Ostrich capital of the world, and today it’s about the journey as well. We’ll be making our way through the GREAT Route 62, the longest wine route in South Africa. Get lost in the subterranean beauty of the Cango Caves and end this bang on day with a bang tasting some fine local wine and craft beer.
Day 3 - Oudtshoorn- Knysna- Sedgefield
After breakfast, we head on over to the Outeniqua Mountain Pass. Today is all about some Canoeing and birdlife exploration through the Wilderness National Park up the Touw River. Later, we’ll be leaving the Canoe behind for a 2Km hike along a boardwalk taking us to a mind-blowing waterfall and rock pools. Who’s up for a swim?
Passing through the Lake District of Garden Route we’ll be heading out to the famous up-market little town of Knysna where you’ll have the waterfront to explore and some great food to taste. Next, we’ll go up to the Knysna Heads Viewpoint to enjoy the stunning views of Knysna River Estuary and the Indian Ocean. Finally, we’ll be taking you to Sedgefield where you can unwind for the rest of the day on the beaches.
Day 4 - Sedgefield- Tsitsikamma- Addo
Charge up on breakfast and then we’re off to The Tsitsikamma National Park. En Route we’re going to treat you bravehearts to the thrill of a lifetime, plunging (tethered, of course) from the highest bungee jump bridge at Bloukran Bridge. At Tsitsikamma, we’ll be enjoying the indigenous forest and the Indian Ocean coastline. You can also take up activities like hiking, swimming, crossing a suspension bridge and the likes. Later on, we’ll be on the move for the Big 5 country, Addo, leaving behind the Garden Route.
Day 5 -
Starting our day fresh and early, we’ll be exploring the 28,000 hectares of spectacular wildlife at the Addo Elephant National Park. You have diverse wildlife to enjoy like about 600 elephants, Lion, Black Rhino, Cape Buffalo, Hartebeest etc. After an exciting day of game viewing, we’ll set out for our way back through the Garden Route and we’ll be overnighting at the Wilderness Beach.
to Day 6 - Wilderness- Mossel Bay- Cape Town
Today we’ll be heading out to the famous George farmers’ market for breakfast. On our way back. We’ll make a stop at Mossel Bay. After some chills and spills on the beaches we’ll be heading out to hike the Cape St. Blaize Trail, and finally, drop in for a visit to the Diaz Museum Complex. The adventure junkies can quench their thirst by going for a 10,000-foot drop skydive or sand boarding on the longest sand dune in South Africa. Your awesome road trip comes to an end here and you’ll be reaching Cape Town/ Stellenbosch by evening.
Dates & Cost
- Comprehensive Pre-Departure Info
- 24/7 assistance from our in-country support team.
- Program and country orientation
- Accommodation in Volunteer house and on tour as well
- Airport transfers on arrival and departure
- Daily transport to project sites
- Transportation for the Garden Route Trip
- Cango Caves guided adventure.
- Full-time housekeeping service.
- 3 meals a day from the kitchen of our great chefs (Mon-Fri)
- International/Domestic Airfare
- Visa Fees
- Insurance expenses (can be purchased from us at minimal cost)
- Game drives, adventure sports, and some weekend activities are non-inclusive and come at an extra cost.
- Cost of Vaccinations