- Assist orphaned and vulnerable children and help build safe havens for their growth and development.
- Go for the Mantenga Cultural Village and get immersed in the Swazi culture.
- Become a pro-builder and learn innovative ways creating your own construction supplies from the Swazi people.
- Bring forth your creativity and get to decorating the community structures.
- Go shop hopping and get your hands on some great Swazi candles and also witness the amazing Ngwenya glasswork.
Get amped up and come share your passion for South Africa’s people, places, and wildlife in The Kingdom of Swaziland. The Scenic Swaziland located between South Africa and Mozambique has huge travel possibilities and is brimming with fun, adventure activities and it all awaits you to put on your traveling pants! The country oozes of royal charms through its strong traditions, vibrant cultural festivals and also the friendly laid back Swazi people.
Jolting back to reality, HIV is still the biggest stumbling block in the path of Swaziland’s economic development and one of the saddest outcomes of this illness is hundreds and thousands of orphaned and vulnerable kids in the king’s land. We are bidding our best to change this for the better and putting YOU, our driven volunteers in the middle of it. You will be building basic shelters and other physical structures needed at care points to help bring a positive impact and promoting early childhood education in the local community all the while immersing yourself in the beautiful Swazi culture.
Day 1 - Arrival at Johannesburg
Touchdown in Swaziland. You will be flying into Tambo Airport, Johannesburg where you will find our GDA’s welcome wagon and our dedicated local staff to greet you, meet you, pick you and transfer you to the Kingdom of Swaziland by roadways through Johannesburg.
Day 2 - Orientation Session
Waking up fresh, on the African clock you’ll kick off the second day with an informative brief about the country, culture and also how to put your best foot forward and make a strong impact with your volunteer work.
Day 3 to Day 5 - Volunteer work starts
These including the other weekdays during your stay in Swaziland will be exclusively spent on building a future with us and helping our cause. You will be spending these days doing the volunteering work and your jobs may vary depending on the building project at hand. Your volunteering responsibilities may include-
- Cleaning and preparing land for building structures.
- Digging out building foundations.
- Making clay bricks.
- Building entire structures, including roofing.
- Planting and maintaining gardens to grow nutritious food for children.
- Painting the structures.
- Fixing up swings and other play equipment for the children to play with.
This same itinerary and tasks will continue for the upcoming 4 weeks as well, on all weekdays.
For the weekends, you can spend time exploring Swaziland or make a quick escape to South Africa as well. Get in touch with the coordinator who can assist you better!
Day 29 - Goodbye Swaziland (If you’ve chosen the 4 week option)
Alas, every great adventure draws to an end and so have this. This is your last day in Swaziland and you’ll be moving out of backpacker lodge in Swaziland and catch your flight back home from Johannesburg. Don’t sweat about airport transfer cause we’ll be transporting you back to Johannesburg by roadways, given you leave on the designated departure date.
Day 29 - Continue (If you’ve chosen the 4+ week option)
Continue with your volunteering experience in Swaziland and leave a more lasting impact on the local community and the kids!
Weekends are free time to explore the beautiful kingdom of Swaziland
- Don’t just lounge about, Swaziland has lots of amazing adventure activities to offer like Canopy Tours, Mountain Biking, Adventure Caving etc.
- Explore the unique craft of the local artisans and bulk up on souvenir shopping at the amazing Swazi Candles Craft Market.
- If you’re an eco-tourism novice, then you’ll surely enjoy the Shewula Mountain Camp and its village walking tours amidst the beautiful natural reserve of Shewula.
- Revel in the amazing wildlife population of the country and make fun weekends out of amazing game drives through the Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary, Mkhaya Game Reserve etc.
- Pump up your adrenaline and get-set-go for a daring hike up the Sibebe Rock, the largest exposed granite dome in the world.
- The minimum age requirement to be a volunteer for this project is 18 years. For 16 & 17-year-old ones, parental consent is required.
- You should be at the top of your health as you might be taking part in intense physical activities.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability to work as a part of a team.
- Passion and creativity is needed to leave a lasting impact on the impressionable kids.
- Acquiring a police record check certificate is a MUST for joining in any of the volunteering projects with GDA.
On your volunteering journey with us, you’ll be staying smack dab in the middle of the valley of Heaven, the Ezulwini Valley in Central Swaziland. The heart of all tourist hullabaloos, it's scenic semi-rural setting also plays host to big shots like the Royal Palace, houses of parliament, National sports stadium, etc.
Look up the thumb rules of shared living for you will be put up in dorm rooms with bunk beds and communal bathrooms where you will get a sense of hostel style living, just like true backpackers! Our volunteer lodge boasts a large deck area, outdoor pool, TV lounge, and also a communal kitchen. Sitting in a spacious garden, the lodge also has its own communal braai and a campfire area to give you an authentic ‘under the night sky in Africa’ experience!
People who eat together, stay together and the friends you’ll be making here will be staying with you forever! You will be eating out in the communal decking area and we’ll be serving you 3 meals a day. Breakfast is self-service as well as lunch which will include cereals, bread, fruit, yogurt, eggs and bread, ham, cheese, salad, and fruits respectively. Dinner will be hot off the stove cooked meal and you might just get a chance to show off your cooking skills in the kitchen, assisting on a rotational basis.
Dates & Cost
|Programme option||Duration||Date of Departure||Price|
|Build A Future, Swaziland||06th Aug, 2018||$1,127£902€902$1,466₹75,509|
|Build A Future, Swaziland||03rd Sep, 2018||$1,127£902€902$1,466₹75,509|
|Build A Future, Swaziland||01st Oct, 2018||$1,127£902€902$1,466₹75,509|
|Build A Future, Swaziland||05th Nov, 2018||$1,127£902€902$1,466₹75,509|
- Comprehensive Pre-Departure Info
- Airport transfer to and fro Tambo Airport Johannesburg and Swaziland on Arrival and Departure Date
- 24/7 assistance from our in-country support team.
- Program and country orientation
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary
- Accommodation in Volunteer house
- International/Domestic Airfare
- Visa Fees
- Insurance expenses (can be purchased from us at minimal cost)
- Local transport and personal expenses
- Local tours and weekend tours apart from the ones included in the itinerary.
- Cost of Vaccinations