Trip HighlightsTrip code: TWSVT
- Walk down the maddening streets of Bangkok and party hard!
- Experience the blissful train ride through the Thai countryside, crossing the stunning Khao Yai National Park and then onto the huge rice plains of Isaan, where Surin is located.
- Explore the "Elephant Capital of Thailand" and live a life of the natives.
- Get closer to the gentle giants and know how the mahouts take care of them.
- Volunteer as a teacher, spend quality time with the kids and add some happiness to their lives.
- Learn more about the age-old traditions and typical Thai cultural nuances.
- Binge on local Thai delicacies and learn to cook them as well!
- Visit the gorgeous temples of Bangkok and Surin.
- Be a part of the famous and the largest elephant festival in entire Thailand, The Annual Surin Elephant Round-Up (in case you are participating in October or November).
No one can refuse a splendid tour in Thailand, where the best is clubbed in just 2 weeks! Get ready as we'll take you down the bustling lanes of Bangkok before heading to Surin, where you can spend time volunteering for adorable little ones as well as get closer to nature. It just doesn't end there - you'll also get to travel to the elephant village that's located on the outskirts of Surin. Know more about the Asian elephants from the mahouts (caregivers) while living in the soulful village. Go Discover Abroad is offering this adventurous tour to all those enthusiasts who have a time crunch, yet wish to experience the best that Thailand has to offer!
Hello and Welcome to 'The Land of Smiles'. Rightly named, every person you'll come across in this country will share a warm smile with you. Once you arrive at Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi Airport), our country coordinator will be there to receive you and from there, you'll directly come to the accommodation, where you can relax and unwind after a long flight.
That day, we shall introduce you to the madness of the Khao San Road and we'll all get to know each other over drinks and dinner. Feel the vibes of the city and you'll soon understand why people fall in love with Thailand! The next day will also be action-packed, as you'll get to visit some of the popular temples in Bangkok, including Wat Pho, Wat Arun, and the most sacred Wat Phra Kaew.
Note - The entry fee to the Grand Palace is around 500THB (approx 15 USD) and not included in the tour fee.
And how can you miss taking a boat ride on the floating market? We have all of it planned for you! And in the evening, let's head back to Khao San Road for some more fun and tap your feet to the tune of happiness as we shall party till late!
On the third day, pack your bags and board the train as we'll embark on our journey towards Surin, a beautiful city in the North Eastern part of Thailand, located near the Cambodian borders. The train journey from Bangkok to Surin will be absolutely breathtaking!
After the fun-filled traveling, now it's time to serve the underprivileged kids in Surin. You can either choose to be a part of the Teaching Project or Child Care Project. This would be an immensely enriching experience, especially for those taking a gap year or on a career break. As a volunteer, your main task would be to provide adequate love and care for the kids that they deserve. You'll have to teach them basic lessons and keep them engaged in activities. Your time at the volunteer projects will be immensely memorable and rewarding.
No trip to Surin can be complete without spending time with the Asian elephants, hence, we are taking you to this pristine elephant village, which is about 40 km from the main city. Here, you'll live a life like that of the natives, and take care of these huge friends of yours! You'll learn how the mahouts take care of the elephants. You'll also have to take these elephants out for walks, feed them and bathe them and also play with them during your stay here. For all the animal lovers, this will be an absolute treat! You'll also get to learn how to make elephant dung paper, kayak on the local river and even learn how to cook Thai food. What an amazing vacay this is going to be!
Once the elephant village tour is wrapped up, you'll head back to Bangkok. The local staff would assist you in making return transportation arrangements to Bangkok by coach or train. You can either choose to extend your stay or prepare to return back home after a memorable journey.
What you can do in your free time?
After your volunteering work gets over, you'll have a lot of time during the weekends to explore and indulge in some adventure. If you are a nature lover, then the best choice would be to go for a jungle trek at the Khao Yai National Park, which is around 3-4 hours away from Surin. You can walk down the forest trails, breathe in some freshness and chill beside the waterfalls with your travel matters. You can even take a dip!
Since the Cambodian border is just an hour away, many of the participants choose to pay a quick visit to the Khmer ruins at Angkor. If you have plans for the latter, then do get in touch with our Thailand coordinator, who can help you out with Visa issues as well as plan your trip to Cambodia.
Dates & Cost
- Comprehensive Pre-Departure Guidebook
- 24/7 Assistance from In Country Support staff
- Airport pickup from Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok
- Program Orientation
- Accommodation in hotel/guest house in Bangkok and in volunteer house in Surin
- City tour of Bangkok
- Bangkok to Surin by train/coach
- Volunteering in Surin
- Elephant experience in Surin
- Accommodation in a Homestay in the Elephant Village
- Transport to and from project location
- International/Domestic Airfare
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance (available at nominal cost)
- Departure transfer to Bangkok (our program coordinator can arrange at extra cost)
- Any personal expenses and any other services which are not mentioned (approximate personal expenses for food and traveling would be USD 40 to USD 50 per week)