Trip HighlightsTrip code: TWSVTP
- Live in Cusco and work for the natives. Be a part of the community schools and get involved in teaching and playing with cute little kids and make a positive difference in the lives.
- Explore the UNESCO World Heritage Sites including Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley.
- Tickle your adventure cells and go for a hike at the Rainbow Mountains.
- Walk through the forest trails of the Amazon Rainforests and spot some endangered species.
- Experience the richness of the Peruvian culture and lifestyle while living with the locals.
- Learn the Spanish language, some salsa moves as well as cook delicious dishes like the Ceviche!
While Machu Picchu might be the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of Peru, but this incredible country has a lot more in store to offer you. Serve the underprivileged kids at rural nursery schools. Know how your small initiatives can make a big impact in someone else's life. And of course, travel to the various places, explore the beauty of the heritage sites, learn Spanish and savor the taste of the local cuisine. Spend 2 amazing weeks in Cusco during your gap year and gain experience that will immensely help you in the days ahead.
Day 1 - Welcome to Cusco
Once you arrive at the Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport (CUZ) in Cusco, you'll meet our representative there, who'll greet you and take you to your accommodation (guesthouse or homestay). You can unpack and rest as you might be tired after a long flight. You might also need to get accustomed to the altitude, as the city is at a height of approximately 11, 150 feet above sea level.
Day 2 - Orientation
Before you begin your journey, there will be a proper Orientation Session where our coordinator will give you the details about the volunteer work and tours. You'll get to know the kind of work that you have to do, about the places that you'll visit, the Dos and Don'ts while living in Peru etc. For the rest of the day, you can head out and explore the city of Cusco on your own.
Day 3 to Day 11 - Serve as a Volunteer under the Community Development Project
During the weekdays, you'll be engaging with the development work in rural nursery schools where the teacher-student ratio is extremely low. There's just 1 teacher to look after a class of 30 toddlers between the age of 3 to 5 years. You will provide care, love, and attention for these children as well as help the staff in administrative work. It'll be a learning journey for you and add more to your gap year experience.
Day 6 to Day 7 - Weekend for exploring Cusco
You can simply buy the Cusco Visitors Ticket from the Local Government Office and visit all the museums, heritage building, cultural centers etc in the city. In case you wish to head out, you can go for the Rainbow Mountain hike, which will be one of the highlights of your trip.
Day 12 - Sacred Valley Tour
The Sacred Valley Tour will take you down the beautiful lanes of Pisaq, Ollantaytambo ruins, and small towns around the place. You can stop for authentic Peruvian lunch at any Inca restaurant. Later, you'll take an overnight train at Ollantaytambo to visit Machu Picchu Sanctuary the next day.
Day 13 - Full day Tour in Machu Picchu
You'll have a fully guided tour of this UNESCO Heritage Site that has always been a favorite place for travelers. Exploring the place where the Inca civilization once flourished will be nothing less than a thrilling experience. You'll head back to Cusco once you have satiated your senses.
Day 14 - Goodbye Cusco!
Do some last minute souvenir shopping and bid goodbye to your travel mates, before heading back home.
Hope you've had a great experience while volunteering and traveling in Peru.
Dates & Cost
- Pre-departure guide
- 24/7 Assistance from support staff and in-country program coordinator
- Airport pick up from Cusco Airport
- Program orientation
- Project placement
- 3 meals a day from Monday to Saturday
- A trip to Sacred Valley and Connection to Machu Picchu
- Tour in Machu Picchu Sanctuary
- 01 bus ticket to Machu Picchu Sanctuary
- Double room (shared room) in a hostel in Machu Picchu Pueblo
- International Airfare
- Airport drop (available for an extra cost)
- Local Transportation
- Any personal expenses