- Spend most of your time on the beaches, monitoring the turtles and their activities. Learn to be a responsible traveler and engage yourself in beach cleaning as that's the natural habitat for the turtles.
- Chill on the beaches of this pristine island and soak in the sun!
- Get to take Bike tours across paddy fields and local villages.
- Learn the Sinhalese language and also how to cook the local cuisine!
- Visit the local spice market and try your hand at local cooking.
As the name suggests, this project is all about protecting the endangered sea turtles and taking care of them. An interesting volunteering abroad opportunity for students looking for a unique gap year experience, this project is perfect for those who have an innate desire to spend time on the beaches! Set in Southern Sri Lanka, Galle, where you can never be too far away from the ocean, do something meaningful for mother nature and also explore some of the most ancient places where Buddhism flourished.
Time away in the wilderness, being close to the ocean, living with the locals, taking long walks far away from the car honks, this is the ideal experience for all those who yearn to get away from cities and head to the countryside.
- You'll have to bury the sea turtle eggs in the sand, in order to save them from the poachers. Once the eggs hatch, you need to take utmost care of the little ones.
- Clean the turtle tanks and refill them with sea water on a daily basis.
- Feed the turtles and nurse them, as many of them are injured when they reach the hatcheries.
- Patrol the beaches at least once a day to look for any pieces of fishing nets, which cause a large number of deaths in sea turtles.
- Collect all the non-biodegradable waste from the beaches, that are left by the tourists.
Weekends are free for volunteers and also during the weekday free time, the following activities can be taken up:
- Beach Hopping, whale watching (during the season), Rainforest Hiking
- Galle Fort Visit and walking tour
- Visiting the local spice market and taking local cooking lessons
- Movie nights on large screen projector at the house (weekly)
- Night Fishing for anyone into fishing (on demand)
- BBQ for volunteers and staff in the garden (monthly)
- Surfing lessons
Dates & Cost
- 24/7 Assistance and support from staff
- Comprehensive Pre- Departure Information
- Pick up from the airport
- Food (2-3 times a day as mentioned in the itinerary)
- Accommodation at the volunteer house
- Travel & Medical Insurance (Available at an extra cost)
- International/Domestic Airfare
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance (available at nominal cost)
- Add On Tours
- Local transportation to and fro program location
- Departure transfer to airport (can be arranged at nominal cost)