- Organize health promoting workshops and support groups to enrich and educate the local communities.
- Join hands with local caregivers and have a unique experience of home-based care for patients.
- Explore the heart of the ancient Zulu Kingdom and home of the largest South African tribe.
- Become the voice of awareness and spread the word about prevention of HIV/AIDS and how people can live positively with HIV.
- The Indian Ocean is just down the road - so chillax on the sunny beaches and warm waters filled whales and turtles!
- Make an exciting weekend out of a game drive into the many wildlife reserves like Hluhluwe-imfolozi.
Soak in the sun and let your hair loose, cause we’re off to the tropical paradise of Zululand! Home of the largest Tribal clan of South Africa, KwaZulu Natal has been blessed in abundance by mother nature with eye-popping sceneries, relaxing white sandy beaches, wildlife extravagance and the best of, the ever friendly Zulu people. We have the best of Zululand at the ready to give you the ultimate travel WOW on your trip to South Africa!
Beyond its natural grandeur, Zululand is still years behind when it comes to necessary healthcare services. Mostly happening in the rural communities where healthcare facilities are slacking and almost absent. As our volunteer, you’ll be placed smack dab in the middle of this where you’ll be propelling our efforts for healthcare reforms in rural Zululand. Working at the grassroots, you’ll volunteer to support, educate and raise awareness about the prevalence and impact of HIV, Tuberculosis, Malnutrition, and many such grave healthcare issues.
Roles and Responsibilities
If you’re looking for a chance to do some good deeds and touch some lives, this is it! Come, let’s take a look through the volunteering responsibilities that you’re gonna shoulder during your volunteer term in Zululand.
- Our volunteers lend an extra hand and smoothen the process and free up the nurses to check up on other patients in the local clinics maybe by manning the intake desk, taking blood, checking pressure and other little but important tasks.
- Home based healthcare has come as a ray of sunshine in the local villages. You’ll accompany a local caregiver to the homes of chronically ill or injured patients. Your work will be tracking the progress of patients and assisting in administering nutrition program for the malnourished.
- Some of our home-based care patients are often in need of additional health aid in their homes and you’ll medical and household assistance on a day to day basis. The people we help through this are elderly, disabled and the gravely ill
- HIV education is a great service to these communities. Our volunteers add value and passion to these classes and make an impact by passing knowledge and educating the children and the entire community in a non-stigmatized manner about it.
- You will promote positive and healthy living in the local community by creating and maintaining vegetable gardens for community members in need.
- This program enables our volunteers to get a peek into how traditional Zulu families lead their lives. Interacting with them on a daily basis, our volunteers work at the grassroots and provide assistance in form of education, nutrition, refurbishment etc.
- Many community buildings in the rural and remote areas tend to get run down. As our change agent, you’ll lend a hand in refurbishing the schools, orphanages and daycare centers in desperate need of repair.
What you can do in your free time?
- The St. Lucia estuary boasts of a great crocodile and hippo population. And the best way to go about exploring them is a chilling cruise trip and the assistance of a knowledgeable guide.
- Wanna spend some personal time with Rambo, Rachel, and Jabulani? It’s a family of habituated elephants in one of the Big 5 game reserves. And if you’re up for an overnight self-drive then you can join this family of flappy eared giants!
- Experience the magic of the African Bush and go out on a day-long game drive through the oldest proclaimed natural reserve in Africa, the Hluhluwe-imfolozi National Park.
- Head out to the beach and relax under the sun, drink in hand! If you’d rather go for something exciting, there’s snorkeling for you!
- Get an extra stamp on your passport and wander off to the neighboring country of Mozambique. You shouldn’t miss out on your chance of swimming with wild dolphins!
- Don a Zulu attire and have a fantastic cultural evening learning to dance and play drums Zulu style. Round off the entire evening with a sumptuous Zulu meal!
- If you’re a night person, then you’d sure love these night drives discovering the nocturnal animal in the iSimangaliso Wetland Park. This is also your chance to witness the amazing natural phenomenon, The Milky Way.
- You have got to be at least 18 years of age or older at the time of joining the project and a letter of consent from the parents is a must.
- You should be at the top of your health as you might be taking part in intense physical activities.
- A genuine concern for the people and the local way of living is lauded.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and ability to work as a part of a team.
- Good understanding of English is needed.
- Prior experience in healthcare is not necessary but your interest in healthcare and related activities is pivotal.
- Acquiring a police record check certificate is a MUST for joining in any of the volunteering projects with GDA.
Located in a safe residential area one street back from St. Lucia’s Main Street, our volunteer house is da-bomb. Surrounded by a tropical garden all around, the house has a beautiful pool, a lounge dining area, and a Braai area. You’ll find a beautiful beach just 30 minutes walk away from the house, which could become your weekend hangout and chilling spot or the perfect spot to witness the sunset over the estuary.
We try to accommodate all kinds of dietary requirements, but you do need to let us know about them beforehand so we can prepare ourselves accordingly. You will kick off the day with a continental style breakfast followed by a lunch which is going to be a mix of South African and International cuisine. Both Lunch and Dinner is generally a hot meal.
We don’t provide food on Saturday (Lunch & Dinner) and Sunday (Breakfast) as we encourage our volunteers to go out and explore the town and eat out at the yummy places off the streets of St. Lucia. Also wasting food is a big No-No for us and we try to work in leftovers as much as we can so that food wastage is nil. We hope this is an idea that you’ll also connect with as our volunteer in Zululand.
Dates & Cost
|Programme option||Duration||Date of Departure||Price|
|Rural Healthcare & HIV/AIDS Awareness Project, Zululand||15th Jul, 2018||$1,524£1,220€1,220$1,982₹102,108|
|Rural Healthcare & HIV/AIDS Awareness Project, Zululand||29th Jul, 2018||$1,524£1,220€1,220$1,982₹102,108|
|Rural Healthcare & HIV/AIDS Awareness Project, Zululand||12th Aug, 2018||$1,524£1,220€1,220$1,982₹102,108|
|Rural Healthcare & HIV/AIDS Awareness Project, Zululand||26th Aug, 2018||$1,524£1,220€1,220$1,982₹102,108|
|Rural Healthcare & HIV/AIDS Awareness Project, Zululand||09th Sep, 2018||$1,524£1,220€1,220$1,982₹102,108|
|Rural Healthcare & HIV/AIDS Awareness Project, Zululand||23rd Sep, 2018||$1,524£1,220€1,220$1,982₹102,108|
|Rural Healthcare & HIV/AIDS Awareness Project, Zululand||07th Oct, 2018||$1,524£1,220€1,220$1,982₹102,108|
|Rural Healthcare & HIV/AIDS Awareness Project, Zululand||21st Oct, 2018||$1,524£1,220€1,220$1,982₹102,108|
|Rural Healthcare & HIV/AIDS Awareness Project, Zululand||04th Nov, 2018||$1,524£1,220€1,220$1,982₹102,108|
|Rural Healthcare & HIV/AIDS Awareness Project, Zululand||18th Nov, 2018||$1,524£1,220€1,220$1,982₹102,108|
- Comprehensive Pre-Departure Info
- 24/7 assistance from our in-country support team.
- Program and country orientation
- Accommodation in Volunteer house
- Airport transfers on arrival and departure
- Daily transport to project sites
- Full-time housekeeping service
- iSimangaliso Night Game Drive
- 3 meals a day from the kitchen of our great chefs (Mon-Fri)
- International/Domestic Airfare
- Visa Fees
- Insurance expenses (can be purchased from us at minimal cost)
- Weekend activities are non-inclusive and come at an extra cost
- Cost of Vaccinations