- Assist with and gain valuable experience in the provision of primary medical care
- Provide basic care health education to disadvantaged children and communities
- Help create awareness of and help to reduce the incidence of epidemic diseases such as HIV/AIDS and malaria
- Provide training to local volunteers, as part of a vital and sustainable community home-based care programme
- Be part of a rewarding and sustainable project
- Stay a lakeside volunteer house, with views of beautiful Lake Malawi
- Feel part of the community and experience the hospitality and culture of the friendly community
Are you a Pre-Med, Medical or Nursing student looking for a perfect volunteering option where you can serve the underprivileged ones and gain first-hand learning experience? Then you must opt for the Medical Program in Malawi, and work with the rural communities of Mangochi District. Malawi. The project focuses on improving the health care through education and awareness, as well as supporting medical treatment. It will also give you a chance to observe the healthcare system in one of the poorest countries in the world. Go Discover Abroad aims to provide a better life to the natives of this Third World Country and you, as a medical volunteer, can make a huge difference to the lives of the natives.
- As a medical volunteer, you'll be working with a team of professionals in a rural village in the Mangochi District.
- You'll have to assist the local volunteers for home-based care program to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS and malaria prevention, personal hygiene etc.
- You might also have to pay home visits to chronically ill patients on a regular basis and treat them till they feel better.
- Volunteers will be involved in cleaning wounds, basic dressing and bandaging, referring patients to the hospital for more serious wounds etc.
- Volunteers with relevant experience can assist the professional doctors at outpatients department, female ward, male ward, a maternity ward, a nutrition unit, a laboratory, a pharmacy and basic dental treatment at the rural community hospital.
- Liwonde National Park is a popular safari destination where you can spend your weekend. Go for game viewing drives, boat rides on the Shire River and much more. Nature lovers can opt for a jungle trek as well.
- You can also head to the Cape Maclear which has a number of small tourist lodges, offering great snorkeling, kayaking, scuba diving and amazing food!
- Zomba Plateau is a good place for walking and enjoying the views, relaxing in the cooler climate, or horse riding for those who want to spend a quaint weekend.
Dates & Cost
- 24/7 Assistance and support from Staff
- Comprehensive Pre- Departure Information
- Airport Pickup at Lilongwe international airport
- Transport to and from the project
- Certificate of appreciation
- Meal - Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
- Accommodation at the volunteer house/ homestay
- Return Airfare
- Visa Fee
- Return Airport Drop (Can be arranged at extra cost)
- Travel & Medical Insurance (Available at an extra cost)
- Any other personal expenses