- Live in a rural set up amidst the lush green surroundings with the natives and experience the joy of serving.
- Experience the thrill of wildlife adventures while exploring various national parks in Sri Lanka, including Sinharaja forest reserve, Bundala National park, Minneriya National park, and more.
- Chill on the beaches of this pristine island and soak in the sun!
- Learn the Sinhalese language and also how to cook the local cuisine!
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Anuradhapura and Sigiriya.
Essentially designed for animal lovers and those who wish to get the taste of rural life in a Southeast Asian country, the Elephant Camp Tour and Community Development Program will certainly be a perfect choice. Engage yourself in the daily works of the mahout and know what it takes to look after these friendly giants. You'll also get to share some love and happiness with the kids at the community orphanage. Spend adequate time with the locals and get to know more about the Sinhalese culture and lifestyle. Located in the gorgeous town of Kegalle, at a distance of about 2 - 3 hours from the capital city of Colombo, this would be an enriching experience for nature lovers during their gap year abroad.
- The most important role is to be empathetic towards the animals and treat them with utmost care. As a participant, you'll be working with the mahouts, who are the caregivers, and learn how they've dedicated their lives to the well-being of the elephants.
- You'll have to clean the shelters, take the elephants out for walks, prepare food for them and feed them as well. The best part would be to take them out for a bath!
- Spend time in the eco-garden where fruit and vegetables for the elephants are grown. Assist the mahout whenever they need your help.
- As a part of the community development project, you'll have to spend quality time with the underprivileged at an orphanage. You can teach them basic lessons, play with them and shower them with enough love.
- Get accustomed to the Sinhalese culture and lifestyle.
- Take overnight trips to Anuradhapura, Sigiriya, Kandy or Bentota.
- If you love to hike up the hills, then you can head out for Adam's Peak.
- Visit the various national parks in the country, including Sinharaja Forest Reserve, Bundala National Park, Minneriya National Park etc.
- You can also head towards Colombo and have fun at the beaches!
Dates & Cost
- 24/7 Assistance and support from staff
- Comprehensive Pre- Departure Information
- Pick up from the airport
- Food (2-3 times a day as mentioned in the itinerary)
- Accommodation at the volunteer house
- Travel & Medical Insurance (Available at an extra cost)
- International/Domestic Airfare
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance (available at nominal cost)
- Add On Tours
- Local transportation to and fro program location
- Departure transfer to airport (can be arranged at nominal cost)