10 Best Gap Year Travel Programs For 2019 - 2020
Thinking of taking a break from your regular life, and wondering about a gap year abroad? Well, that’s nothing weird in today’s date - when millennials from all across the world and actually taking this up pretty seriously - exploring, learning new things, volunteering and pursuing their passion while on the roads in a different land!
And now, you can join this league too! Here’s a list of the best gap year travel programs for 2019 - 2020 - check them out and see which suits you the best!
Gear up to spend your gap year in Bali and go for the ultimate backpacking trip, hopping from one island to another! While you'll have a lot of time in hand to roam around the picturesque islands, meet interesting people, and figure out 'what next' - Go Discover abroad is here to offer you a chance to explore majestic temples, splash around in waterfalls and take a dip, visit an active volcano, wander through lush rice fields, get some Instagram worthy pictures and sip on local coffee, learn the art of yoga and also know how to cook some authentic Balinese dishes! What more can one ask for?
- Hop along the breathtaking islands of Kuta, Ubud, Gili Islands, etc
- Hike through the Monkey forest, explore the temples of Bali and soak in the serene vibes
- Learn to snorkel and surf along the waves or unwind your soul as you learn the art of yoga
- Savor the delicious Balinese cuisine, and try your hands at cooking authentic delicacies
- Volunteer at a primary school for a day and spend some 'happy hours' with the kids
What can be better than backpacking across Southeast Asia during your gap year abroad? And to say the least, every solo traveler out there has Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam added to their bucket list. Embark on your journey from Bangkok - the Thai capital - and immerse yourself in the hustle and bustle of Khao San Road, visit the Wats, binge on the delicious street food, before you travel to Siem Reap - one of the most gorgeous Asian cities, housing the ancient temple complex of Angkor! Soak in the old world charm as you explore the temple ruins, before heading off to Phnom Penh, the Cambodian capital. Unwind and relax by the beaches of Sihanoukville and then hop off to your final destination in Vietnam! In Cần Thơ, you'll get to enjoy a local village homestay and experience the authentic Vietnamese lifestyle. Your amazing journey will end in Ho Chi Minh City!
- Wander around Bangkok and soak in the Thai vibes
- Walk down the lanes of Siem Reap and explore the grandeur of Angkor
- Witness the history of Cambodia's past in Phnom Penh
- Experience the local Khmer lifestyle and gorge on their authentic delicacies
- Explore Vietnam's old world charm, cruise through Ha Long Bay and meet some amazing people
If India has been there on your travel bucket list since forever, then ditch the procrastination and plan your gap year trip to 'Discover India' like never before! Go Discover Abroad has curated this amazing tour that aims to give you the opportunity to walk down the lanes of history, experience the cultural diversity, savor the taste of the spicy cuisine, feel the warmth of the Indians and to give something back to the society in the most meaningful manner. Your journey will begin in New Delhi, the capital city, where you'll get to volunteer with underprivileged street children, and add happiness to their lives. Travel to the quaint town of Palampur, located on the lap of the Himalayas, where you'll get to learn yoga, go for treks, walk through tea gardens, as well as work at a childcare center, helping in renovation work or looking after the little ones. You'll also get to explore the cultural richness of the country, as you travel to Amritsar, to see the Golden Temple and to Jaipur, to witness the grandeur of the Rajput architecture. And how can your adventures in India end without seeing the Taj Mahal? Well, we have got that too covered for you!
- Travel across different Indian cities, including New Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Amritsar, Palampur
- Soak in the Himalayan vibes, while living amidst nature in Palampur and experience the good of trekking
- Learn the art of Yoga and Meditation, under the expert guidance
- Volunteer for the street children program and make a difference in their lives
- Witness the beauty of the Taj Mahal in Agra, marked as one of the Seven Wonders Of the World
If you don't have much time in hand and feel like taking a break for just a couple of weeks - then probably this is the best choice for you! Travel to Northern Thailand, where you'll get to spend a week living in a village with a bunch of elephants and the mahouts (caretakers of elephants). Volunteer for the gentle giants, take care of them, bathe them and feed them and learn more about the lives of the mahouts. Once done there, you'll get to hit the beaches and soak in the sun, dive and snorkel, party and go crazy with your fellow travelers! Explore the virgin island of Koh Tan, visit one of Asia’s ancient wonders - the Ang Thong Marine Park, and travel back to Bangkok before this adrenaline-ticking tour ends!
- Experience the best of Thailand in just a span of 14 days
- Explore and volunteer at the amazing elephant sanctuary in Chiang Mai
- Take a tour of hundreds of ancient temples in Chiang Mai
- Hop along the Thai beaches, soak in the sun and binge on the local cuisine
- Meet some amazing travelers from other parts of the world and create memories
For those who have Peru in mind - what can be better than exploring the ruins of the Inca Trails while hiking along Machu Picchu? Well, that's not all - we'll ensure that you get to turn your gap year trip into one of the best chapters of your life while traveling and volunteering in Peru. Work at a childcare center in the historical city of Cusco, and spend quality time with the tiny tots! Travel to the Sacred Valley with our expert guides and explore the beautiful lanes of Pisaq, Ollantaytambo ruins, and small towns around the place. Get mesmerized by the beauty of Machu Picchu - marked as a UNESCO Heritage Site! Make your journey more exciting by learning Spanish from the locals, binge on Cheviche and try to cook some authentic dishes as well.
- Spend 2 weeks in Peru, volunteering with children and get involved in teaching and playing with cute little kids
- Explore the UNESCO World Heritage Sites including Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley
- Soak in the Peruvian culture and lifestyle, while living closely with the locals
- Tickle your adventure cells and go for a hike at the Rainbow Mountains
- Polish your Spanish Language skills, and boost your Resume/ CV
Set out for an amazing gap year experience in Central America and get jaded by the gazillions of adventure that awaits you. In a span of 18 days, hop from Costa Rica to Nicaragua, and then travel to El Salvador, Antigua and Guatemala! Sounds fantastic - right? Oh well, we know that your heart is craving for some thrill on the roads - and this would possibly be the best way of exploring the Westcoast of Central America. Hike up to the Arenal Volcano, discover the lanes of La Fortuna, soak in the breathtaking scenery at Monteverde, walk through the beautiful colonial streets of Granada, go for surfing on Nicaragua's Pacific Coast - this list will just go on and on! So, gear up and plan this trip - either solo or with your bunch of crazy friends!
- Thrilling road trip across different Central American countries over a span of 18 days, soaking in the authentic vibes
- Learn a bit of Spanish as you immerse yourself in the local culture and lifestyle
- Explore some offbeat trails where tourists seldom go and create your own tales of adventure
- Get to know about the flora and fauna of this region and learn things that they never taught in the classrooms
For those who have just 2 weeks in hand, and feel like going for a game drive spotting the animals in Africa as well as work for a meaningful volunteering program - there can be nothing better than this! Head off to the East African nation of Kenya - which is a Mecca for animals lovers! You can serve at a childcare center in Nairobi or be a teacher at a suburb school - spending quality time with the little ones and helping them to dream of a better life. Other than that, you can immerse yourself in the Kenyan culture and lifestyle, binge on the delicious 'Nyama Choma', and of course, experience the thrill of wildlife safaris - spotting the lions and elephants, hippos and rhinos, leopards and cheetahs and more!
- Make a difference in the lives of the underprivileged children, by volunteering for their well-being
- Explore the nooks & corners of Nairobi - visit the David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage and Giraffe Center
- Head off to Maasai Mara - for an ultimate game drive
- Experience the authentic Kenyan life, know more about their culture and customs, and binge on the local delicacies
- Meet some incredible people from different parts of the world and make memories that would last for a lifetime
If South Africa is on your mind, then maybe you can stretch your adventurous gap year journey a little more - adding Swaziland to the itinerary! Explore some of the gorgeous parts of South Africa that boast beautiful flora and fauna along with the richness of the culture, immerse in the local lifestyle, meet amazing people and work together for a common cause. Starting from Swaziland, one of the tiniest African countries, you will be involved in community projects to make a difference in the lives of orphans and vulnerable children. While the volunteering journey will help you to learn a lot about their lives, the most exciting part of your tour would be the 5 days camping safari through the infamous Kruger National Park, where you can spot the big cats, camp amidst the wilderness and gaze at the starlit sky!
- Spend an incredible 2 weeks (or more) & immerse yourself in the authentic culture of the place, learn more about their history and traditions and learn about the flora and fauna of this region
- Gain first-hand international work experience and boost your CV/Resume
- Meet some like-minded travelers from other parts of the world
- Explore South Africa & Swaziland like never before
There must be some reason why Australia is known to be the ultimate gap year destination! Well, to be honest, Australia spells adventure! You can just turn your gap year into an adventurous journey by indulging in activities like Bungee Jumping, Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Exploring the Great Barrier Reef, Wildlife Safari, meetings with the Kangaroo, Koalas and what not! And that's not all - you can also choose to volunteer for a meaning conservation program and contribute towards protecting the beauty of the region. Go Discover Abroad has curated this amazing road trip along the East Coast - where you can explore the iconic sandy vastness of Fraser Island, embark on maxi-yacht sailing through the epic Whitsunday Islands or snorkel and explore the vibrant reefs. Add this adventure tour to pump up your gap year in Australia!
- Cover all beautiful beaches on the East Coast, between Brisbane & Cairns, in a span of 10 days
- Spend a day in the world’s largest sand island, the Fraser Island
- Dive deeper to get closer to the Great Barrier Reef
- Experience the Oz vibes, soak in the sun and gorge on delicious steaks and grills
If you're looking for an offbeat European experience, then probably you should pack your bags and set out for a gap year in Turkey! How about exploring the bustling cosmopolitan city of Istanbul, the ancient city of Göreme and taking a boat trip to the beautiful coastal town of Kekova? Explore the ruins of the ancient Roman Empire, soak in the authentic beauty of the land and immerse yourself in the Turkish culture. Savor the taste of the local cuisine, shop at the local markets and get closer to the natives while living in the homestay. It'll be a great way to discover more about the country and the people, and you'll surely end up making some wonderful memories. Go Discover Abroad has curated this amazing tour in Turkey for all young enthusiastic travelers, that'll offer you a plethora of experiences with its varied culture and rich history that blend perfectly with the essence of the modern lifestyle.
- A perfect budget trip that'll cover all the famous destinations in Turkey, from Istanbul to Selçuk, Cappadocia to Çanakkale and more
- Soak in the authentic old world charm and feel the vibes of modernity
- Explore the beautiful white cliffs of Pamukkale, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and the ancient site of Hierapolis
- Meet some interesting travelers on the way, and experience a fantastic journey with them
Are you already excited and confused thinking where to go? Well TBH, you’ll have enough time during your gap year and if you start planning from now, maybe you can cover 4 or 5 countries, hopping from one place to another experience how difference people & places are, from one part of the world to another!
If you have liked any of the mentioned tours, but want something more flexible - then we can happily customize it for you! Just drop us a mail at [email protected] and we shall get back to you soon.
It then, keep wanderlusting!