First and foremost, it is necessary for each and everyone to understand the meaning of 'gap year' before digging deeper into the topic. As per the Oxford Dictionary definition, 'Gap year is a period, typically an academic year, that a young person spends working and/or traveling abroad, often between leaving high school and starting university.' To put it differently, it is the time during which one gets to pursue his or her interests while taking a break from the general course of studies or work.
While the concept wasn't so popular even a decade ago, today thousands of people from different parts of the world are opting for a gay year and traveling to pursue their dreams. Although the term signifies a duration of 12 months, the gap period can be for any length of time. One can make the most of this time by exploring a different land, engaging in different kinds of meaningful as well as learning journeys, pursuing their passion, indulge in knowing more about the people and their lives as well as connect to other travelers, thus widening their social network.
If you wish to make your gap year more eventful, then the best thing would be to combine backpacking, adventure tours, volunteering and everything else in one trip! You can get engaged in community development projects in Swaziland and go for safaris in South Africa, experience the thrilling Gorilla Trek in Uganda, learn to cook Paella while in Spain, trek the Himalayas in Nepal or volunteer with the elephants in Thailand. There will be no dearth of activities anywhere in the world, and Go Discover Abroad can provide you the best and most affordable gap year plans.
There are several advantages of a gap year abroad and it can brighten up your CV in the most unconventional manner.
- The break will help you to feel refreshed and you’ll be energized to pursue your passion.
- You’ll get the scope of polishing your skills and adopt new ones as well.
- Traveling in a different country will help you to enhance your knowledge about the bigger world.
- It’ll boost your level of confidence and make you stand ahead of your peers.
- You’ll get the chance to befriend people from different parts of the world, and you’ll have reasons for traveling to their country, sometime in the future!
- You’ll learn some valuable lessons while volunteering/ working in another country.
- It’ll be the biggest opportunity for you to step out of your comfort zone, face your weaknesses and fears.
To say the least, a gap year will be full of new experiences, all of which will help you to be a better person. You'll learn the fact that the world beyond your known sphere is hugely different, yet it'll embrace you in the warmest way and give you the scope to live life to the fullest. It is the time for you to learn and roll, cook and hike, dive and jump, volunteer and love - and above all, enjoy every moment!